International Information Programs
Diversity 14 June 2003

U.S. Secretary Colin L. Powell's Remarks at the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee's National Convention Banquet

Primarily addressing the Administration's vision for peace in the Middle East, Secretary of State Colin L. Powell also commented on diversity in the United States, on America as "truly a country of countries."

Following are excerpts from his remarks:

SECRETARY POWELL: Thank you very much, Ziad, for that very, very kind introduction. It's a great pleasure for me to be with you this evening. I'm honored that you would ask me to speak at this "Voices of Peace" banquet.

I want to say to my friend Jim, who a few moments ago gave you that cautionary note -- (laughter) -- that I am not only not your worst enemy, I am your friend. (Applause.)

I am so honored to be here on the occasion of your 20th national convention. And, Ziad, I understand that this is your last day as ADC president, but I also know what you're moving on to, and I know that this is only the beginning of a new phase of your life as you work for peace, reconciliation and civil rights. So I congratulate you on your magnificent record as head of the ADC, and I give you my warm, best wishes in your new endeavors. Not only Arab-Americans, but all Americans, owe you a great debt of gratitude. (Applause.)

And my congratulations to you for having selected Mary Rose Oakar to serve as your new president. I have known her for a number of years, and she is a great choice for the ADC. (Applause.) I know that under her leadership the ADC will remain a powerful voice for a distinguished community of American citizens. Indeed, Arab-Americans have enriched every facet of American life. Ralph Johns, son of Syrian immigrants, was a pioneering figure in the civil rights movement, and I have benefited from that movement.

This organization is dedicated to erasing discrimination. I know a little bit about discrimination. As an African American, I suffered in this, my own country, and it's only in my generation have I seen the kinds of improvements that would allow a black man to stand before you as Secretary of State and as former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. So I know all about discrimination. (Applause.)

We are also all privileged to be citizens of and live in a country that is always moving forward to deal with discrimination in any manner in which it manifests itself. Today is Flag Day. We celebrate the flag of our nation. Isn't it interesting that the Alamo Flag Company, the largest distributor of that quintessential American symbol, was founded by Fawaz "Tony" Ismail. Fred Saidy has brought joy to millions through his movies and his Broadway productions. George Mitchell, our dear friend, senator and peacemaker extraordinaire, is one of today's most distinguished Americans.

Arab-Americans serve the American people and serve our nation so well in my own State Department, and I am honored to serve in President Bush's cabinet with Spence Abraham, our distinguished Secretary of Energy. (Applause.)

Our open borders, America's open borders, have brought us the talents of so many people from around the world. Now in this post-9/11 world, we need to make sure that we keep our borders open to the exchange of people, the exchange of product and the exchange of ideas which have made our nation great. But we have to do it in a way that does not compromise our own security, and this is a difficult balance to reach between having open borders but also secure borders.

And as you all know, in an effort to balance openness and security, the Department of Homeland Security has instituted a system called the National Security Entry/Exit Registration System, or NSEERS. Let me be clear, absolutely clear, about what NSEERS is not. NSEERS is not a way to keep Arabs out of this country, Muslims out of this country. It is not a way to close our borders to anyone with a legitimate reason to come to the United States, to the visit the United States.

What it is is an interim approach to securing our borders while we work out a better long-term solution, and we are working on such a solution. On a regular basis, Secretary Ridge and General Ashcroft and I sit and talk about how we can put this system in place as quickly as possible so that America will always be seen as a welcoming place, a place that wants people to come and visit, to get an education, to take advantage of our healthcare system, our cultural attractions. And when fully in place, the new U.S. system, which is called U.S. VISIT, will replace NSEERS. And we firmly believe the new system will help ensure that all visitors to this great country are received with dignity and with humanity.

Our immigration policies are meant to preserve the diversity in American life that we all cherish, and that this organization, the ADC, works so effectively to preserve. America is truly a country of countries. We touch every nation, and we are touched by every nation. We respect Muslims, we respect Jews, we respect Christians, we respect Hindus -- we respect all of God's children worshipping in the manner that they see fit.

I'm fond of saying to visitors who want to learn more about America -- they sit in my office in the State Department. I say to them, "You know, I can walk out the front door, get in my car, and in five minutes I can be at a mosque, I can be at a Catholic church, I can be at an Orthodox church, I can be at Protestant church of any one of a dozen different denominations. I can be in a temple, I can be in a synagogue." I can be anywhere where God is worshiped in any manner because of the beautiful nature of this land, and how we have found a way to blend this diversity into a source of strength, not a source of weakness.

Ladies and gentlemen of the ADC, you understand this so well, and you are a vital bridge for understanding between Arabs and Americans, at home and abroad. With a foot in both worlds, you have special insights into America and the Arab world, and a special responsibility to share your wisdom across cultural boundaries. And I salute you for doing just that -- for speaking out for peace in the Middle East and against intolerance within our own borders. Ziad, I especially appreciated the effort you made to reach out to the men and women of the State Department when we invited you last year and you addressed our Open Forum.

The ADC’s condemnation of the May 12 terrorist attacks in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, carried an important message to the world. Like President Bush, you have made it clear that our enemies are terrorists and their supporters, not people of any single faith or ethnicity.

Murderers like those who killed the innocent in New York, in Riyadh, in Bali are a threat to the entire civilized world. They make no distinctions of religion or nationality. They kill Muslims. They kill Christians. They kill Jews. Indiscriminately, and without mercy.

They must be stopped. They will be stopped. We are pursuing the terrorists and their accomplices everywhere they plot their murders. We will continue to work with our coalition partners to search out terrorists, smash their weapons, smash their networks, and freeze their finances. There will be no respite, no rest until terrorists and terrorism are defeated. And they will be defeated.

(Distributed by the Bureau of International Information Programs, U.S. Department of State. Web site: http://usinfo.state.gov)

This site is produced and maintained by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of International Information Programs (usinfo.state.gov). Links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views contained therein. Back To Top
blue rule
IIP Home | Index to This Site | Webmaster | Search This Site | Archives | U.S. Department of State