The U.S. Consular Section is located in the U.S. Embassy building. The passport window is open to general public from 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM Monday through Thursday and Fridays from 7:30 AM to 11:30 AM, except on Paraguayan and American holidays. The consular cashier closes at 4:00 PM Monday through Thursday and at 10:30 AM on Fridays.
Customers requiring for-fee services such as passports, reports of birth, notarials must come to the Embassy by 3:30 PM Monday through Thursday and 10:00AM on Fridays. If you require further information, please call our office at (595) (21) 213-715 during regular working hours.
Passport Renewals: The Consular Section normally renews U.S. passports within 1 week. If you need to travel immediately, a limited, emergency passport can be issued. All passport applications are sent to the Charleston Passport Center to be printed. The following items are required:
1. Your most recent passport.
2. Two identical and recent photographs measuring 5cm by 5cm taken full face with a light background. Photo booth machine photographs are not acceptable. Ask the photographer for photos for a U.S. passport otherwise you may receive wrong-size photos.
3. Fees in cash, either in U.S. dollars or Paraguayan guaranies at the Embassy exchange rate. As we have limited cash available, we would appreciate your bringing exact change. For an adult 16 years or older the cost is $55.00 if you can present your most recent passport. Otherwise, the cost is $85.00. For minors under 16 years old the cost is $70.00.
4. Special requirements exist for passport applications of children under age 14. Please refer to the following State Department link: Special Requirements for Children Under Age 14.
Lost/Stolen/Mutilated Passports: The Consular Section may replace lost, stolen or mutilated passports after verification of your identity and your citizenship. The following items are required:
1. A police report
2. All available and ideally original identification such as your certified birth certificate, your driver’s license, a photocopy of your missing passport, an expired passport, etc. (If you have no ID, you may wish to bring along an American friend or relative with his or her passport to attest to your U.S. citizenship and identity.)
3. Two identical and recent photographs measuring 5cm by 5cm taken full face with a light background. Ask the photographer for photos for a U.S. passport otherwise you may receive wrong-size photos.
4. Fees in cash. As we have limited cash available, we would appreciate your bringing exact change. For an adult 16 years or older the cost is $85.00. For children 15 years old or younger the cost is $70.00.
For more general information on U.S. passports please refer to the State Department page.