Print publications include handbooks, monographs, bulletins,
and fact sheets that are produced in hard copy and distributed
from a clearinghouse facility.
For the best possible print publication, follow these basic
- Know your audience and what you want readers to do when they
finish reading the publication. Write based on this goal and
the readers' knowledge of the subject.
- Outline the content before writing to ensure proper organization.
- Use sidebars to summarize background or ancillary information.
- Write in a style that is concise and easy to read (i.e., use
short words and sentences, bullet lists, and descriptive subheads).
- Apply a consistent and complete style to references and endnotes/footnotes.
- Use good grammar and punctuation.