Skip To Content Skip To Left Navigation
NSF Logo Search GraphicGuide To Programs GraphicImage Library GraphicSite Map GraphicHelp GraphicPrivacy Policy Graphic
OLPA Header Graphic

Dr. Bordogna's Remarks

Dr. Joseph Bordogna
Deputy Director
Chief Operating Officer
NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
Society of Manufacturing Engineers
Annual Meeting and Manufacturing Leadership Forum
Seattle, Washington

June 1, 2001

Making things is one of humankind's most noble attributes. Making things well is nobler still. The manufacturing process carries our society and economy forward inexorably. SME's members can certainly stand tall about their accomplishments!

I believe that manufacturing is on the cusp of a startling new era of opportunity. Seeing the kinds of frontier research and education proposals being submitted to the National Science Foundation from across the country these days, new capabilities are emerging that are transformational: the capacity to simultaneously work at the nanoscale, a billionth of a meter in size, and at the terascale, a trillion computations a second in speed, will transform the way we make things and the things we make. New engineering and machine tools will abound; new properties will be built into structures large and small; exotic techniques will further enable productivity and innovation. I am excited about the prospects ahead for the manufacturing frontier.

I am thus enormously honored to be a recipient of an SME Gold Medal. I hope I can live up to its distinction. I assure you I accept it with great pride.

Thank you.

National Science Foundation
Office of Legislative and Public Affairs
4201 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia 22230, USA
Tel: 703-292-8070
FIRS: 800-877-8339 | TDD: 703-292-5090

NSF Logo Graphic