What You(th) Should Know
Tobacco and Athletic Performance
- Dont get trapped. Nicotine in
cigarettes, cigars, and spit tobacco is addictive.
- Nicotine narrows your blood vessels and
puts added strain on your heart.
- Smoking can wreck lungs and reduce oxygen
available for muscles used during sports.
- Smokers suffer shortness of breath (gasp!)
almost 3 times more often than nonsmokers.
- Smokers run slower and cant run as
far, affecting overall athletic performance.
- Cigars and spit tobacco are NOT safe
Tobacco and Personal Appearance
- Yuck! Tobacco smoke can make hair and
- Tobacco stains teeth and causes bad
- Short-term use of spit tobacco can cause
cracked lips, white spots, sores, and bleeding in the mouth.
- Surgery to remove oral cancers caused by
tobacco use can lead to serious changes in the face. Sean Marcee, a high school star
athlete who used spit tobacco, died of oral cancer when he was 19 years old.
S0. . .
- Know the truth. Despite all the tobacco
use on TV and in movies, music videos, billboards and magazines---most teens, adults, and
athletes DONT use tobacco.
- Make friends, develop athletic skills,
control weight, be independent, be cool..... play sports.
- Dont waste (burn) money on tobacco.
Spend it on CDs, clothes, computer games, and movies.
Get involved: make your
team, school, and home tobacco-free; teach others; join community efforts to prevent