FDA NewsDepartment of Health and Human Services
red horizonal rule
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
P-01-11
May 25, 2001
Print Media 202-205-4144
Consumer Inquiries 1-888-SAFEFOOD

FDA WARNS CONSUMERS ABOUT VIVA BRAND IMPORTED CANTALOUPE

The FDA is advising consumers of an outbreak of foodborne illness associated with cantaloupe from two Mexican companies, S.P.R. De R.I. Legumbrera San Luis and S.P.R. De R.I. Los Arroyos, and imported by Shipley Sales Service of Nogales, Arizona. This outbreak of Salmonella poona has involved numerous illnesses and two deaths in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Tennessee and Washington state.

Salmonella poona is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella poona often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.

The cantaloupe was sold in retail stores and restaurants and possibly served in health care facilities. Fresh cantaloupe has a shelf life of 14-18 days.

As a result of this investigation, FDA has taken steps to prevent the importation of any other contaminated cantaloupe. FDA is detaining all cantaloupe imported by Shipley Sales Service from S.P.R. De R.I. Legumbrera San Luis and S.P.R. De R.I. Los Arroyos.

FDA, States and other government agencies are continuing to investigate this matter. Retailers, restaurants and food service operations should determine if any of their existing stock of cantaloupe was purchased or sold under the Viva brand name, and if so, remove from sale. Any cantaloupe bearing this brand name should not be consumed.

Although Viva is the only brand associated with this outbreak, FDA continues to recommend that consumers take the following steps with cantaloupe and other produce to reduce the risk of foodborne illness. This supports advice given by the state of California.

####

FDA News Page   |   FDA Home Page

Office of Public Affairs
Web page created by jch 2001-MAY-29.