This web site was copied prior to January 20, 2005. It is now a Federal record managed by the National Archives and Records Administration. External links, forms, and search boxes may not function within this collection. Learn more.   [hide]
skip to main content Federal Trade Commission -
Welcome to the FTC's Website on Entertainment Ratings
Welcome to the FTC's Website on Entertainment Ratings Federal Trade Commission -
page title: About This Site Federal Trade Commission -
Entertainment Ratings Home Page
About the Ratings Page
Resources Page
Reports and Research Page
Press Room Page
File a Complaint About Media Violence

FTC Accepting Complaints
About Violent Entertainment Marketed to Kids

Consumers who have complaints about violence in movies, music, and electronic games — including video games — that are marketed to children can tell it to the Federal Trade Commission, the nation's consumer protection agency.

The FTC is accepting complaints about the advertising, marketing, or sale of violent entertainment products to children online (select media violence in the line marked “Subject of Your Complaint”). To file a complaint now, click on the button to the right.
File a complaint about Media Violence
The agency is tracking complaints based on:

Content: You believe the content of the ad for an entertainment product is inappropriate or unacceptable for children.

Placement: You believe an ad for a video game, film, or recording is running at a time or in a place you think is directed to children. For example, you might complain about an ad in a children's magazine for an R-rated movie.

Ratings: You believe that the rating for a movie, video game, or recording is not an accurate reflection of the content it contains.

Cross-Marketing: You believe that a company is cross-marketing a violent entertainment product to a young audience. This might include marketing action figures from an R-rated movie to small children, or marketing a video game based on an R-rated movie to kids.

Products Sold to Children: You believe a child was sold, rented, or otherwise allowed to view an entertainment product, despite a rating that it may not be appropriate for children. This might include complaints about retail outlets that allow under-age children to buy music or games that are rated or labeled for an older audience, or theaters that allow under-age children to buy tickets to an R-rated film without a parent or guardian.
Content of Television Programming: Consumers who have complaints about the content of television programming should direct them to the Federal Communications Commission.

Order FTC Publications Get Adobe Acrobat Reader - click here to download