This web site was copied prior to January 20, 2005. It is now a Federal record managed by the National Archives and Records Administration. External links, forms, and search boxes may not function within this collection. Learn more.   [hide]

Search Frequently Asked Questions

Return to non-screen reader version

Skip to Global Site Links
Long-Term Care Home    |    Steps to Choosing Long-Term Care    |    Types of Long-Term Care    |    Paying For Long-Term Care

Types of Long-Term Care

  Summary of Long-Term Care Choices Resources  
  Overview | Community Services | Home Care | Selected Section Accessory Dwelling Units | Subsidized Senior Housing 
 | Board and Care Homes | Assisted Living | Continuing Care Retirement Communities | Nursing Homes 

If you own a single-family home, and you don’t want to move, an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) may help you keep your independence. An ADU (sometimes called an in-law apartment, an accessory apartment, or a second unit) is a second living space within your home or on your lot. It has a separate living and sleeping area, a place to cook, and a bathroom. Spaces such as an upstairs, basement, attic, or area over the garage can be turned into ADUs.

Creating an ADU at your home may bring you additional income, companionship, and help with house and yard maintenance. Having someone there to help with your personal needs, or getting your mail, or joining you for dinner can help you maintain your independence.

Family members might be interested in living in an ADU in your home, or you may want to build a separate living space at your family member’s home. Only you and your family can decide what choice is best for you. Either choice can help you maintain your independence.

If you decide to create an ADU at your home, check with your local zoning office to be sure ADUs are allowed in your area. Most communities have rules regarding ADUs.

The cost for an ADU can vary widely depending on how big it is, and how much it costs for building materials and workers. Some people do part of the construction work themselves to lower the cost.

To get more information about supportive housing and home modification, look at the National Resource Center on Supportive Housing and Home Modification website.

Link to top of pageTop of page


    Home  |  Return to non-screen reader version  |   Español  |   Link to Chinese Section  
The Official U.S. Government Site for People with Medicare
Help  |     |   Mailing List Mailing List   |   Questions  


Medicare Billing 

Medicare Appeals 

Long Term Care 

Plan Choices 

Stay Healthy 

Medicaid Enrollment

Provider Information


Privacy Practices

Search Tools 

MMA 2003

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Link to Department of Health and Human Services Website Department of Health and Human Services