You are viewing a Web site, archived on 14:13:26 Nov 08, 2004. It is now a Federal record managed by the National Archives and Records Administration.
External links, forms, and search boxes may not function within this collection.
Center for Veterinary Medicine


Powered by Google

" "

Table of Contents

About CVM Red bullet
Contact CVM Red bullet

Spacer Spacer
Frequently Asked Questions

The links to Frequently Asked Questions below cover basic and timely information and guidance for those interested in CVMís responsibilities and the many products it regulates. Answers usually include further links to in-depth information included throughout CVM's Website, as well as on the sites of other government agencies.

If you can't find the answer to your question here, you can use the search feature on this page or go to the CVM Index. Please note: FDA cannot comment about drugs that are in the review process, e.g., we cannot answer a question about when a drug will be approved or not approved.

I need help with my pet/livestock's health or feeding.

FDA CVM DOES NOT answer questions about specific animal or pet illnesses, or the use of any veterinary drug, feed, or other product. Questions regarding your animal's health and/or the specific use of any veterinary drug, feed, or other product should always be referred to your veterinarian.

Where can I get information on vaccines?

FDA CVM is not involved with vaccines. Veterinary biologics (vaccines, bacterins, diagnostics, etc, which are used to prevent, treat, or diagnose animal diseases) are regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Center for Veterinary Biologics.

Where can I get documents that are not yet linked up on this site?

You may submit written or e-mail requests to FDA CVM for hard copies of documents that are not posted. Documents are continuously being added to this site, and requested documents may get priority. Please note CVM is only required to post CVM documents published after November 1, 1996. All CVM documents can be ordered in paper format from FDA CVM.

Copies of documents are available from:

Food and Drug Administration
Center for Veterinary Medicine
Communications Staff
7519 Standish Place, HFV-12
Rockville, Maryland 20855

Freedom of Information Summaries are available from:

Food and Drug Administration
Freedom of Information Staff, HFI-35, Rm. 12A-20
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, Maryland 20857

May I copy this site?

All FDA CVM produced material may be copied, reproduced, and distributed as long as CVM is cited as the corporate author. Please Note: The searchable "Electronic Green Book" (formerly known as the "FDA Approved Animal Drug Data Base") information is produced by the Drug Information Laboratory, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, and State University, not the FDA CVM.

Will you put a link to my site on this site?

This site includes several pages of links to external sites.

We generally will not provide links to pharmaceutical firms, feed manufacturers, or other commercial entities. If you are connected to a university, non-commercial organization, or government agency (i.e., your address ends in .edu, .org, or .gov) we will review your site for a possible link.

I am confused about subscripts, superscripts, graphics, or other mathematical issues.

There is a file that describes in detail the techniques used to present technical documents within the constraints of HTML: Notes on reading technical texts on line.

I have a new animal drug product. How do I get it approved?

The veterinary drug approval process consists of a series of consultative procedures and reviews. See our Information and Requirements For New Animal Drug Approval page for the regulations, guidance documents, instructions and forms necessary for the submission of an application.

You use a lot of abbreviations on your Website. Where can I find their definitions?

See our Abbreviations and Acronyms for the definitions of abbreviations used in the documents on this Website.

Why canít I find any information on a drug called Abcxyz on your site?

There are several reasons why you might not find a certain drug on CVMís Website.

  • Misspelling — check the spelling of the drugís name
  • Itís a human drug and not a veterinary drug — go to the Center for Drug Evaluation and Review (CDER) for information on human drugs
  • The drug has not been approved for use in the United States

My dog had a bad reaction to a drug the veterinarian prescribed. Who do I notify?

Veterinarians and animal owners are encouraged to report adverse drug experiences and suspected product failures to the government agency that regulates the product in question. Visit our How to Report an Adverse Drug Experience page for the information and forms that are needed to report adverse experiences with veterinary drugs.

I want to market a new pet food or pet treat. Do I need FDA approval?

There is no requirement that pet food products have premarket approval by FDA. The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act does require that pet foods, like human foods, be pure and wholesome, contain no harmful or deleterious substances, and be truthfully labeled. Information about marketing a pet food product may be found by reading our Information on Marketing a Pet Food Product flyer.

Web page updated Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 11:32 AM ET

www dot healthfinder dot gov Link to FirstGov

horizonal rule
FDA Logo links to FDA home page HHS Logo links to Department of Health and Human Services website U.S. Food and Drug Administration Center for Veterinary Medicine FDAMA Antimicrobial Resistance Biotechnology Aquaculture Food Safety BSE Guidance Documents Green Book Freedom of Information link to the FDAMA page link to the Antimicrobial Resistance page link to the Biotechnology page link to the Aquaculture page link to the Food Safety page libk to the BSE page link to the Guidance Documents page link to the Green Book page link to the Freedom of Information page