You are viewing a Web site, archived on 09:18:29 Nov 12, 2004. It is now a Federal record managed by the National Archives and Records Administration.
External links, forms, and search boxes may not function within this collection. Note that this document was downloaded, and not saved because it was a duplicate of a previously captured version (07:49:52 Oct 20, 2004). HTTP headers presented here are from the original capture.
Skip to main content
Skip to sub-navigation
About USAID Our Work Locations Policy Press Business Careers Stripes Graphic USAID Home
United States Agency for International Development Contact USAID USAID
This is USAID »
Frequently Asked Questions »
Our History »
Accomplishments »
USAID Organization »
Inspector General »
Key Documents »
Presidential Initiatives »
Advisory Committee (ACVFA) »
Speeches/Testimony »
USAID Home »
Site Map »
Keywords »
Advanced Search »
USAID Email Contacts


Frequently Asked Questions

What is USAID?

The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) is an independent agency that provides economic, development and humanitarian assistance around the world in support of the foreign policy goals of the United States.
For more information, please visit About USAID. [Return to top]

Where is USAID located, and how do I get there?

USAID is located in the Ronald Reagan Building, 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20523. We are located on the Blue and Orange lines of the Washington, D.C. subway (the 'Metro') at the Federal Triangle Station.
[Return to top]

What is USAID's phone number?

The agency's main telephone number is 202-712-0000.
[Return to top]

How do I contact a USAID employee?

Please refer to our page that details how to contact a USAID employee via mail.
[Return to top]

I would like the address of one of your offices overseas.

Please refer to the USAID Overseas Mission Directory.
[Return to top]

I am a student majoring in International Affairs. I am writing a research paper and need to know more about USAID.

USAID is an independent federal government agency responsible for providing economic and humanitarian assistance around the globe. To read more about USAID and the history of foreign assistance please visit the following web site: http://www.usaid.gov/about_usaid/.
[Return to top]

I would like information on U.S. foreign aid policy. I would like to know how much the American taxpayer is giving to each country and how it is being spent.

The United States has a long history of extending a helping hand to those people overseas struggling to make a better life, recover from a disaster or live in a free and democratic country. It is this caring that stands as a hallmark of the United States around the world -- and shows the world our true character as a nation.

U.S. foreign assistance has always had the twofold purpose of furthering America's foreign policy interests in expanding democracy and free markets while improving the lives of the citizens of the developing world. Spending less than one-half of 1 percent of the federal budget, USAID works around the world to achieve these goals.

The USAID Congressional Budget Justification (formerly referred to as the Congressional Presentation) provides statistical information on the foreign assistance programs and activities implemented by USAID. If you are looking for historical data on of U.S. foreign assistance activities, you can refer to the USAID publication U.S. Overseas Loans and Grants, Obligations and Loan Authorizations that contains the financial history of the U.S. foreign assistance programs back to 1949.
[Return to top]

I'm interested in employment with USAID. Where can I find information on vacancies?

For information on employment at USAID, please visit our web site at: www.usaid.gov/careers/.

Currently there are limited opportunities available for the New Entry Professional Program (Foreign Service), Mid-level Hires (Foreign Service), and some Civil Service positions.
[Return to top]

I am not a U.S. citizen, but I am interested in working for USAID at one of your offices overseas. How may I apply?

Although USAID operates from headquarters in Washington, D.C., if you are interested in employment in one of our Missions overseas, you must apply directly to that Mission. A full listing of our missions is available at: www.usaid.gov/locations/missiondirectory.html. Your expression of interest and resume (or any other appropriate materials) should be sent to the attention of the USAID Mission in which you are interested in working.

For a list of USAID Missions on the web, please visit: www.usaid.gov/missions/.
[Return to top]

How can I locate a former USAID employee who retired over 7 years ago?

USAID's personnel records center does not keep records on inactive employees beyond 7 (seven) years. Please contact the National Archives and Records Administration, National Personnel Records Center (Civilian Personnel Records) 111 Winnebago Street, St. Louis, MO 63118.
[Return to top]

I am interested in knowing more about USAID study scholarships offered to international students and how to apply for them.

USAID does not provide tuition grants or scholarships to individuals. Such applicants should contact the U.S. Department of State: http://exchanges.state.gov/education/

You may also visit the following USAID web site to find out other ways that you may be able to obtain tuition assistance: http://www.usaid.gov/educ_training/scholarship.html.
[Return to top]

Could you provide me with a list of Private Voluntary and Non-Governmental organizations working with USAID?

The USAID Office of Private and Voluntary Cooperation (PVC) publication "2003 Voluntary Foreign Aid Programs: Report of Voluntary Agencies Engaged in Overseas Relief and Development (THE VOLAG REPORT) can be accessed at: http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/cross-cutting_programs/private_voluntary_cooperation/pub.html.

This comprehensive report lists all private and voluntary organizations (PVOs) registered with USAID. The report also contains descriptions of each PVO's activities and financial data, including its privateness percentage, which is provided to USAID by the PVO during the annual registration process. The VolAg Report contains key contact information for each PVO, including the name of its chief executive officer, mailing address, telephone, fax number, and Internet address, where available.
[Return to top]

We are a U.S. non-profit organization and would like to know how we can get funding for our programs from USAID.

All USAID solicitations are posted on the USAID Business & Procurement Internet site. Instructions on how to apply for each USAID-solicited program are contained in each solicitation. Each solicitation also includes a point of contact and contact information. If you are interested in submitting an "unsolicited" proposal for USAID review, follow instructions provided in Contract Information Bulletin No. 99-18.

In addition to the above, the USAID Office of Private Voluntary Cooperation (PVC) offers programs specifically targeted to a subsector of the "non-profit" organizations -- the U.S. Private Voluntary Organizations (PVOs). PVC provides direct support to efforts made by the U.S. PVO community and by its local partner non-governmental organizations (NGO) to address critical needs in developing countries and emerging democracies. The primary way PVC supports its mission is through the competitive grant programs it administers. If you are a PVO and would like to work with PVC or USAID overseas, you must register with USAID. Information on PVC and PVO registration can be accessed on the Private Voluntary Organization Registration page.

If you are a non-profit organization based outside the United States, you should contact the USAID mission in the country you are interested in working. For a complete listing of the USAID missions, please see the USAID Overseas Mission Directory.
[Return to top]

Where can I find information on doing business with USAID?

Worldwide business opportunities (in the form of solicitations) can be found on the USAID Business site: www.usaid.gov/business/. This page also contains agency guidance governing USAID grants, contracts and other implementing mechanisms used by USAID. Additionally, the USAID Acquisition and Assistance Ombudsman is available to answer questions at Ombudsman@usaid.gov or the A&A Ombudsman homepage.
[Return to top]

I would like to ask permission to use materials (images) from your web site in my presentation or publication.

Unless a copyright is indicated, information on this Web site is in the public domain and may be reproduced, published or otherwise used without USAID's permission. We request that USAID be cited as the source of the information and that any photo credits or bylines be similarly credited to the photographer or author or USAID, as appropriate.

If a copyright is indicated on a photo, graphic, or any other material, permission to copy these materials must be obtained from the original source.
[Return to top]